Funny how blueberries exude this deep purplish plum colour after it’s baked beneath layers of cake and streusel. And it’s funny too how true blueberries taste nothing like those artificially flavoured blueberry syrups or candies. The tartness explodes in your mouth as soon as you pop a berry, but the flavour is quite subdued after the baking.
Anyway, while writing this post, I just realised that about a year ago, I didn’t bake for my sister’s birthday because I couldn’t even walk properly. I was hospitalised about a year ago too, 7 April 2011 to be exact, and went for surgery 2 days later. I’ve fully recovered ever since, and I’ll be going for my first ever 5km run next Saturday. (:
That aside, Happy 13th Birthday Nabilah! I hope you liked the blueberry boy bait. Just a tip, have some vanilla ice cream nearby if you’re planning to make this. Besides, a dollop of cold vanilla ice cream with the warm cake coupled with tart berries and the addictive crunch of the cinnamon flavoured streusel sounds good, doesn’t it?
ps: did you notice the new snaprolls header? (:
Blueberry Boy Bait (adapted from I’ll Have What She’s Having)
Ingredients for the cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
Ingredients for the streusel
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease/line a 9″ by 13″ baking pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. (3 additions of flour and 2 additions of milk)
- For the streusel, put all the ingredients in a small bowl and rub them together with your fingertips until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and top with blueberries and the streusel.
- Bake for about 35-40 mins. Let cool completely before slicing.